The Western Australian Government has donated $500,000 to help the people of Ukraine as they deal with the humanitarian crisis caused by the Russian invasion.
The donation to the Ukraine Crisis Appeal, partnered with Rotary Australia World Community Services and Caritas Ukraine, was delivered through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries, and will be used to provide emergency relief and humanitarian aid to those affected by the war.
The donation follows the same amount donated in March 2022 by the Queensland Government to the Ukraine Crisis Appeal, which has now raised over 4 million dollars to assist those affected by the brutal, illegal and devastating war being waged by Russia.
The West Australian Ukrainian Association liaised with the Premier’s office to discuss the donation, and received input from the Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations (AFUO) Director of Humanitarian Aid Initiatives, Ms Darka Senko.
“We are incredibly excited and grateful that the McGowan Government has donated such a substantial amount of money to the Ukrainian community’s humanitarian aid effort, Ukraine Crisis Appeal,” said Mr Mykola Mowczan, President of the Ukrainian Association of Western Australia in Perth.
“Our community in Perth has been doing all it can to support Ukraine at this time, including fundraising for the humanitarian relief effort, holding a candle vigil attended by government and consular representatives, and organising rallies in support of Ukraine,” said Mr Mowczan.
To date, the Ukraine Crisis Appeal, the largest Australian tax-deductible fundraising effort for Ukraine, has assisted over 999,114 people, with more than:
- 524,954 people receiving food supplies (*52.7% of all beneficiaries received)
- 30,559 people receiving medicines from the Caritas network.
- 70,581 people receiving bed linen
- 16,928 people receiving accommodation
- 21,009 people receiving bottled water
- 14,784 people receiving legal protection and other services
- issued 208,178 hygiene kits
- provided shelter for up to 1,400 people a day in emergency shelters
- distributed 280 tons of cargo to war-affected areas
The Ukraine Crisis Appeal has also shipped $1.1 million dollars of urgent medical supplies to Ukraine.
Mr Mykola Mowczan: 0412 228 056
Ms Darka Senko: 0417 237 938